Takes less than 15 minutes from start to finish.
1 head cauliflower
1 tablespoon of your favorite oil (I use coconut, but if you don’t like the taste, use extra -virgin olive oil)
1/2 medium onion – optional
salt & pepper to taste
* see below to change up the taste with different spices
Remove core and leaves. Coarsely chop cauliflower into pieces small enough and put half at a time into the food processor, ninja, or blender and pulse. Make sure that the cauliflower pieces are completely dried before using – or it will turn to MUSH. Only chop until it ‘looks’ like rice – don’t over chop!
In a large frying pan, on medium, heat oil. Sauté onion until soft. Increase heat to medium-high and toss in the cauliflower. Cover and cook about 5 minutes, stirring frequently until it is slightly crispy. Season with salt and pepper. Remove from heat and serve warm.
IDEAS: Great for “rice” in soups, stews, and as side dishes.
- Curried Cauliflower Rice: Add 1 tablespoon turmeric or curry powder.
- Lemon Rice: Add some lemon zest and lemon juice or a few drops of lemon essential oil.
- Chinese Fried Rice: After frying the cauliflower rice, push the cauliflower to one side of the pan. Pour in one (1) beaten egg into the empty part of the pan and lightly scramble the egg. Then mix the scrambled egg and cauliflower “rice” together. If desired, add a little soy sauce to the mixture.
- Herbed Rice: Add 1/4 cup of fresh basil, parsley, cilantro, green onion, and/or other herbs of your choice.
- Rice Salad: After frying and cooling, mix in some chopped cucumbers and tomatoes. Season lightly with some oil and vinegar.
- Spanish Rice: After cooking the cauliflower, add an 8-ounce can of chopped tomatoes and a little hot sauce (to taste). Can also add some sautéed diced green pepper and garlic.
- Vegetable Rice: Add your favorite diced vegetable; sauté with the onions.